Sunday, November 1, 2009

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery

The stylists at Essence should be flattered.

I saw this outfit in the October issue of the magazine last month and thought it was modern and stylish. From the printed tights, which you know are hot right now, to the great shoes with the suede piping. I added the grey sweater because there was a chill in the air this morning on the way to church.

Like most women, I flip through the pages of fashion magazines for inspiration. I was completely inspired by this outfit and since I already had a similar navy dress, copying this look wasn't out of reach. So I purchased the DKNY Chevron net tights for $20 from Macy's and the Harajuku Lovers shoes for $100 from Nordstroms.



I love a Mary Jane, but these are Mary Janes with a twist. The two straps are feminine and delicate. While the suede piping adds an industrial feel. The tasteful mixture of cream, grey and black allows the shoe work with many outfits (it also comes in blue/light blue). You will stand tall in these on the 4 1/2-inch heel and 1-inch platform. These are definitely the highest-heeled shoes I own, but they are comfortable and easy to walk in.

If you can't already tell, it was really the shoes that first caught my attention when I turned to the page in the magazine. These are my first Harajuku Lovers shoes. And, honestly, I had never heard of this brand before seeing the shoes in Essence. But after doing a little research, I found out that Harajuku Lovers is singer Gwen Stefani's fashion line that was launched in 2005. The idea for Harajuku Lovers revolves around the Shibuka, Toyko area of Harajuku. While Stefani's previous clothing line, L.A.M.B., is targeted to a more mainstream demographic, Harajuku Lovers focuses on her fan base.

I am now a fan!




No comments:

Post a Comment