Saturday, November 14, 2009

Sherlock Holmes is on the case

I was at Anthropologie, my favorite store, about six weeks ago when I saw this cape - the Somerset Cape - and immediately began to lust after it. I tried it on, which was a huge mistake, because I knew then that I had to have it.

The problem was I was supposed to be on a budget and the cape was $168. Ugh! So, I left the store without it.

But I thought about that cape for days. I sent links to my sisters and friends, so they could commiserate with me. Eventually, I put the cape out of my mind. "I don't need it. I shouldn't spend $168 on it," I convinced myself.

Then, about two weeks ago, my friend Raven, who is my partner in crime in buying things we clearly don't need, sent me an email. The subject was "the cape." I didn't even have to open it. I knew the cape had gone on sale.

I went to the Anthropologie website and it was $79.99! My heart started racing. I immediately called Raven to both thank her and tell her what a bad influence she was. Then, I proceeded to get the cape. I needed a small, but there were none left online. So, I called customer service and the woman found some at the Princeton store. I called the Princeton store, which was about 25 minutes from my house, to make sure they had smalls and to ask the associate to hold one for me. I dashed to the store, tried it on and fell in love all over again.

So what if the name "Sherlock Holmes" has been mentioned more than once when I've worn the cape. And so what that my husband's first reaction was "that's interesting." I love the Somerset Cape. It's a sophisticated piece that makes me feel like a lady, even when I'm wearing jeans. I love the slight swing, the 3/4 sleeves, the exaggerated collar and the belt, so you can still have a waistline while wearing it.

Was it $80 that I probably shouldn't have spent? Yes. But do I regret the purchase? Absolutely not!

Note: The Somerset Cape is no longer featured on the website, but if you call customer service, someone may be able to track one down at a store near you.

1 comment:

  1. I think the cape is super cute. It was $80 well spent.

    ReplyDelete