Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Suspended in Confusion

The only time I think about suspenders is if I'm watching Larry King and then, I'm thinking about them for men. I never think about suspenders for women, but twice this morning, within an hour of each other, two women mentioned suspenders. And not just mentioned them as they were admiring them on someone, but mentioned them as in wanting them.

The first was my younger sister, Torri, who tweeted that she wanted suspenders. And the second was celebrity stylist Rachel Zoe's daily blog, The Zoe Report, which was all about suspenders.

So, I decided to do a little research. I know suspenders have never really gone out of style for men, but are they the next upcoming trend for women?

I Googled "suspenders for women" and a bunch of hits came up for the old-school type. I know 1980s fashions are back, but I hope these stay put.









I kept searching, hoping to find something cute. I had to sort through a bunch of overalls. These are $486 at Barneys, if you're interested. I'm not.









And I found a ton of suspended garters. Now, when I think of suspenders, I certainly don't think of this! But I guess since they are holding up stockings, they qualify as suspenders. They are $75 at Figleaves, if this is your cup of tea.













I found this skirt with suspenders at Speigel, which sells for $39, but it is only cute from afar.











The suspenders Rachel Zoe blogged about today are chain suspenders. She calls it a "tough trend" that should be paired with a destroyed Tee, skinny jeans and black nail polish. That outfit sounds cute, sans the suspenders. I love and respect Rachel Zoe, but I'm secretly hoping suspenders for women - chains or not - are not the next hottest trend.












The suspenders on the left are Litter SF Silver Chain Suspenders and sell for $128. The ones on the right are Armor's Toro Body Chain and are $88.

No comments:

Post a Comment