Saturday, October 10, 2009

When cheap isn't cheap

I have a dilemma.

I bought this beautiful R. J. Graziano necklace as a birthday present to myself in April. At $250, it was pricier than what I wanted to spend, but when I saw the statement piece at Nordstrom, it surpassed anything else that I saw the in mall that day. I actually looked for something just as fabulous, but cheaper, but couldn't find anything that came close.

I wore the necklace twice before one of the center turquoise stones fell out. I took the necklace back to Nordstrom, hoping to exchange it for another, but there weren't any left at any of the Nordstroms in the U.S. Bummer!

I was trying to decide if I should return the necklace, when the sales associate offered to send it back to R.J. Graziano for them to repair it. Perfect!

I picked up my prized birthday gift two weeks ago, after not having it for two months, and carefully placed it on my jewelry box, on top of every other necklace in there, because, after all, it was my favorite piece and I had missed it so much. Two days later, I opened my jewelry box and noticed a smaller bead had fallen out. Shoot! (Note: It's on the top right).

Now, what do I do?

Do I send it back again and risk not having it for the rest of the year?

Do I try to repair it myself?

Or do I just return it to Nordstrom?

I so want to keep this necklace. The first time I wore it, I got at least 50 compliments on it. I was at a Links' Luncheon with women as equally as fashionable, but my necklace was all the rage.

The second time I wore it, it gained nearly as much attention.

So, clearly, this piece is a show stopper and I probably won't be able to find anything similar.

If I repair it myself or send it back to R.J. Graziano, there's still a chance another bead could fall out.

I'm disappointed that the necklace was so expensive, but the quality was not on par with the price. I know it's costume jewelry, but when you pay $250 for a necklace, you expect it to last a while.

What would you do?



3 comments:

  1. I think you should take it back, Chandra. It IS beautiful, but it's like a super-hot boyfriend who keeps telling you he's going to stop ... whatever ... but keeps doing it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol Knight! You're right, though. I need to take it back. Getting prepared to depart with it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take the necklace back...it's not worth the headache.

    ReplyDelete