Friday, September 11, 2009

Fashion's Night Out was all about the Alcohol


It's Fashion Week in NYC and last night was Fashion's Night Out, the kick-off to the week of glamour where the stores stayed open until 11 p.m. and boutique owners entice shoppers with music and liquor.

My girl, Shani, and I had five stops to make last night - three were fashion related. The plan was to visit J. Crew, because the store on Prince Street was unveiling its fall fashion line. Next on the list was Intermix, just because they have great shoes, bags and clothes and the last fashion stop was to be Rachel Roy's Pop Up Store, so we could get a look at her new line - Rachel Rachel Roy.

We were armed with cash and credit cards. I haven't charged anything all year, but was willing to make an exception last night because it was Fashion Week and I have had a few items on my wish list for a while. I was hoping to find a gray bag, black clutch, black leather motorcycle-style jacket and leggings that don't make my thighs look fat. I could have been easily persuaded to spend more than I should have last night.


We made it to J. Crew, looked at the jewelry and drank champagne. The accessories line was great - love that cluster of necklaces on the mannequin - but we didn't see anything that we just had to have.


Onto Intermix next. Now, I've been stalking this Juliette Jake clutch at Intermix since March, but can't bring myself to pay $595 for it, even if my heart melts every time I see it. I was hoping that this beauty would be on sale. But the folks at Intermix removed everything from the store, except for a couple of racks of clothing. The merchandise was replaced with a DJ and open bar. It was like the club in there. Mad crazy! So, rather than shop, we drank Patron.


Disappointed that I still hadn't purchased a single thing, I couldn't wait to get to Rachel Roy's Pop Up store because her Rachel Rachel Roy collection is amazing and so affordable! That jumpsuit is only $129. Her collection is also available at Macy's. We get there, see the velvet rope and insane line and immediately know there's going to be an issue. The crowd may have had something to do with the Estelle DJing inside. So, we waited about 10 minutes - on feet that were already screaming - and decided to leave.

The night ended at The Mansion nightclub, where the BMI awards after party was taking place. Because of Shani's connection, we got into the VIP, where the drinks were flowing. Hennessy Black was a sponsor, so that's what the bartenders were serving up - all types of drinks made with Hennessy.


Boris Kodjoe and his wife Nicole Ari Parker, Janelle Monae and BJ, who worked at Baby Phat when "Kimora: Life In the Fab Lane" was being shot, were also in the VIP. Sweet!

So, while the only thing we spent money on was cab rides, we enjoyed all of the free liquor.




1 comment:

  1. from facebook:

    Paela: don't think we can keep up with you..
    9 hours ago · Delete

    Tameka N Jones: she has a line coming to macy's!!!

    ReplyDelete