Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Will Write For Fashion


I'm starting this blog as a result of a fight, well, disagreement with my husband, Phillip.

After 11 years as a newspaper reporter, I got bored and left my job in December with a year's salary and benefits. The goal in leaving was to find out what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, or at least the next 10-15 years until I got bored again. Well, it's September 1 and I still don't know what I want to do next.

I thought it was event planning, but I took a five-week course at my local community college and realized that it wasn't event planning. I still love planning events - the details, planning the menu, finding the perfect wording for the invitation and the anticipation of the guests arriving - but discovered I only want to do this for myself, not brides or other people who would hire me.

Next, I took a calligraphy class. I thought I could have a calligraphy business. I struggled through the class - I blame my left handedness - and haven't picked up my quill and ink since the last class.

Then, I dabbled in public relations, which I'm still doing. I started Hayslett Media Consulting in February and have four clients. I write press releases and pitch stories for them. It's the next logical thing for an out-of-work journalist to do.

What I am passionate about is fashion. I love haute couture designers, fashion magazines, fashion reality shows, clothes, shoes, bags, jewelry, fashion week and movies where the fashion is more of a star than the actual stars, i.e. "Sex and the City" and "The Devil Wears Prada." And I love to shop!

So, in one of the many nauseating discussions with Phillip about my job situation, he suggested that I blog about fashion. He even went as far to suggest that I go into NYC a couple times a week to shop, so I would have items to blog about. Now, the later suggestion is completely out of character for Phillip, who normally complains when I shop.

The fashion blog suggestion was good - I'll give him that - but since I don't have a regular 9-5 right now, I decided to start blogging about what's in my closet. And "Will Write For Fashion" was born.

1 comment:

  1. comments from facebook:

    Chandra, I love that you know what your passion is and have decided to share it with others via this blog. I look forward to reading more about the latest fashion tips and trends. I like your Style!!!!!!!!!!
    September 2 at 8:40am · Delete

    Chandra M. Hayslett: thanks. it's a little scary putting it out there, but i believe it pays to take risks.
    September 2 at 9:00am · Delete

    Gina Odle-Mortimer: Cute Blog! I just became your first follower! I'm a blog hopping QUEEN!!!!! I love me some blogs!
    September 2 at 9:14am · Delete

    Chandra M. Hayslett: thanks Gina!
    September 2 at 9:47am · Delete

    Kristi Hayslett-Jones: nice blogs. i look forward to reading more.
    September 2 at 10:32am · Delete

    Raven Hill: Yay! I will go shopping in honor of your new blog.
    September 2 at 11:07am · Delete

    Torri Hayslett: me too!!
    September 2 at 2:49pm · Delete

    Tawana Underwood Roman: Already went....I need to chill....Louis Vuitton thanks me though....LOL!!
    September 2 at 9:16pm · Delete

    Tawana Underwood Roman: I can make this style work too....can't wait.
    September 2 at 9:17pm · Delete

    Danette Guild: I totally lack fashion sense, I am actually one of those people who needs to be on WHAT NOT TO WEAR shows..... omg... lol I just said that?!

    ReplyDelete